Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Importance of Mentoring

When I was a young man, wet behind the ears, and a mere stripling in the ways of business, I was taken under the wing of a senior manager who became my mentor. He was a very successful businessman and he saw in me, someone who was willing to learn and put in the required work to succeed.

This relationship was a turning point in my life, and I am still reaping the benefits 20 years later. Mike taught me a lot, showed me the pitfalls and the secrets of business success. I am so thankful for his tutelage.

In the principle of passing it forward I have mentored 4 or 5 promising young people, and this has been a great satisfaction to me. I have also encouraged them to consider mentoring others in their own organizations.

If you are new to the Internet, you might want to search out a mentor to help you, it is a powerful way to learn and grow, and then pass it forward yourself at the appropriate time.

DK

First published on QASSIA

No comments: